Can I Use My Debit Card Outside the United States?
Yes, you can use your Hingham Savings debit card while traveling. Here are a few helpful pieces of information to remember.
- Whenever traveling, internationally or within the United States, let us know before you leave by calling 781-749-2200 or filling out this quick form:
- When you travel, you'll probably be making purchases outside your normal routine. Our fraud-prevention systems may automatically decline any transactions (or series of transactions) which seem questionable. If you run into any trouble using your card while traveling, just give us a call at 781-749-2200 so we can assist you.
- Use your PIN number whenever possible to lessen the likelihood of a transaction being declined.
- The ATM withdrawal limit is $755 per day.
- The daily point of sale (POS) limit is $5,000. We may be able to increase this limit temporarily if you notify us in advance.
- It is always suggested to carry a secondary form of payment in case of an emergency.
Are any countries considered “blocked countries?”
Yes. We have placed elective "blocks" on debit card activity in these countries due to the level of fraud, but we can modify these rules for your travel. Let us know before you leave by calling 781-749-2200 or filling out the below form.
Below is a list of blocked countries:
Are any countries too high risk that my card is restricted from use?
For the following countries, the risk of debit card fraud or government regulations prevent us from processing transactions altogether. We cannot lift restrictions on the following countries.
Are there any other locations/stores I need to be cautious with while using my Hingham Savings Bank debit card?
Yes. Due to debit card fraud being prevalent everywhere, special precautions are taken to safeguard all clients information. To ensure your service is uninterrupted, it is always in your best interest to let us know before you leave or attempt a transaction by calling 781-749-2200.
Please note that the following transactions may automatically decline:
- Any international (online/non pinned) transaction over $200.
- Any online transactions at Home Improvement stores over $1000.
- Any (non pinned) transaction over $50 outside of Massachusetts at any chain store such as Walmart, Walgreens, Publix, Rite Aide among many others.